Saturday, May 12, 2012

Day 133 - Waiting

Twitter | Facebook | Blogger | Flickr

ISO 100 f/32 1/200s
1 SB-800 handheld camera left set to TTL triggered my Nikon CLS

View On Black

Day 133 - Waiting

Late Last night I won a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 Lens on eBay. I am very excited about my purchase. If I manage to sell my medium format camera, I will most likely get another light modifier such as a softbox or beauty dish. I am thinking that a beauty dish will be more flexible for off-camera flash on windy days when umbrellas don't stand a chance. Today while walking through the park I saw this.

Untitled

Yes, that is a omnibounce on top up of this guys flash pointing at the sky. I asked the guy, "What are bouncing light off of, the sky?

He replied by rotating his flash head down 90 degrees. I then told him how his light modifier would eat up at least 2 to 3 stops and there was nothing the to bounce the light off of.

He replied, "Probably, but it makes pretty light." I walked away at this point and watched as he met his client for a "PROFESSIONAL" photo shoot. It is the stuff like this, that I see every week in the park, that has motivated me to shoot people professionally. It is not the money that it is important, but the fact that people are making money off of unsuspecting clients who do know enough to know their photographer doesn't know anything.

I have also seen a man running around with an on camera flash pointed 90 degrees up in the air at sunset taking photos, with no ominbounce; meaning there was no chance of any light from the flash making it to the client. Monday I saw well know area photographer taking bridal photos with her assistant lighting the face of the client using a small LED light the size of a cell phone. I thought to myself; If i metered that the light in a dark room the exposure would be so low as to be completely insignificant at 6 pm in the afternoon. As a side note the assistant had two reflector which came in handy for swatting at flies.

Also this morning in park, I saw one of the area available light photographers taking photos of a family with her D700 at 7 shoots per second. I understand shooting in burst if you are covering a action and sports, but if you shoot 4 frames in a second on a portrait, they will all look the same. At least this photographer was shooting with a more modest D700 as opposed to the D3 I have seen most area pros using. Don't get me wrong, I would love to own either of these cameras; but when I see stories of National Geographic Photographers crawling hundreds of feet through mud with a D3 and D3s surviving falls from motorcycles, they are overkill for daytime photos in the park.

It is frustrating to see people take money and deliver this kind of service to customers. I am looking forward to providing a higher level of quality photography to people in the Huntsville area.

until tomorrow,
enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment