Friday, March 30, 2012

Day 85 - TTL vs. Manual Flash

Day 85 - TTL vs. Manual Flash

ISO 400 f/20 1/200s 1 SB-800 Handheld camera left @ 24mm 1/64th power and TTL triggered with NIkon CLS.

I wanted to test TTL flash to drive home the point to any one who has ever taken a bad photo while in TTL flash mode. I metered f/20 on this shot; when comparing the two my instinct is to say my shot is over exposed, but I know better. This dogwood has white flowers. What about texture, this also led my eyes to believe that my photo might be overexposed; agiain it's not, the flash was at a 45 degree angle from the camera and there really isn't much texture to those leaves. I would say the TTL shot is 1 stop underexposed. Notice how the white goes grey. All camera meters are calibrated to middle grey, this has been a problem since reflective meters first appeared in cameras, and even though nikon and cannon claim to have made improvements on TTL they call i-TTL and E-TTL. A white subject will trick your camera anyday of the week, no matter how smart you think it is.

until tommorow,
enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment