Monday, March 12, 2012

Day - 69 Mechanical Fish

Lighting Info:
ISO 100 f/22 1/200s @ 300mm 1 SB-26 very high left 18 inches from subject @ 50mm 1/6th power triggered with Pocket Wizard Plus IIs.
Day - 69 Mechanical Fish

I wanted to revisit this mechanical fish located in downtown Huntsville, AL; this piece of artwork is one of several pieces currently being leased by the city. I have actually photographed this fish 3 times now, but I never thought to use anything less than the entire sculpture as my subject. I also find it odd that both of my other photos were taken on film, and this is the first time I have taken a digital photo of this piece.

Here is a shot taken with a Yashica TLR from an estate sale that cost me less than the price of a roll of 120 film
Mechanical Fish

And another on my first roll of 35mm since I started shooting digital
Mechanical Fish

Both of these photos are plagued with a distracting background, even the photo shot on 35mm film that I shot with a 50mm lens at f/2. The medium format version is fun to explore at its original resolution, which scanned to 23 Megapixels. I honestly don't know why I never thought to get any closer to this subject until today. Perhaps it is the fact I have had ultra wide-angle photography on the brain. This shot was complicated by wind immediately after arriving at the location. My flash stand almost blew over as I was extending and aiming the flash down at the subject; I used my camera bag and spare lens to weigh down on of the legs. I had initially planned to include a set up shot to better show the sculpture and flash position; but I only managed to get 3 shots in before the wind blew over my stand knocking my flash out of the cold shoe, spilling my batteries and contents of my camera bag onto the ground. This photo was the first one I took, and after gathering everything off the ground it was time to call it a day.

until tomorrow,
enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment