Monday, March 12, 2012

Day 71 - High Speed Photography

View On Black


ISO 640 f/16 1s @ 240mm 1 SB-800 @ 105mm 1/32nd power triggered with home made sound triggered and 1 SB-26 @ 85mm 1/64th power triggered by the SB-800.
Day 71 - High Speed Photography

This was my first attempt at high-speed photography after building this sound trigger on a breadboard almost a year ago. It was my interest in high-speed photography that led to my discovery of off-camera flash, which has since become my passion. When setting this shot up I didn't think about he fact that the flashes could be triggered twice during the same exposure resulting in the above photograph. I was a little disappointed at first, but this has now motivated me to reengineer my sound trigger and add a digital delay.

Here is the setup, shot at 18mm from the tripod. Click on the photo and hover the mouse over the photo to see my notes.
Day 71 Setup

I used some spare wood from my garage as flags to prevent the flash from spilling and illuminating a greater area.

Here is a test shot triggered with pocket wizards to test my exposure.
Day 71 Setup

And here is another testing the sound trigger.
Day 71 Setup

And one last photo of the trigger itself.
Day 71 Setup

The little black rectangle on the right side of the circuit it is a 555 timer for a digital delay that I neglected to wire up. Lesson learned! Completing my circuit could have prevented this double exposure. I had fun with this shot and seeing everything fire as the coffee cup struck the ground. I can't wait to break something else.

Until tomorrow,
Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment