Thursday, April 26, 2012

Day 116 - The Strobist

View On Black

Day 116 - The Strobist


ISO 100 f/2 1/80s 1 SB-26 @ 24mm 1/32nd power Shoot through umbrella camera right just outside of the frame, and 1 SB-800 @ 14mm 1/16th power with omnibounce and Roscoe blue gel triggered with pocket wizard plus IIs.

After cutting my head off last week for the sake of photography, I figured I owed it to myself to take a picture with my head; even if it looks better behind the camera than in front of it.  I actually had constructed this photo in my head a few weeks ago before going to Ocracoke, but never had the time to execute it.  This is typically how I look on any given night with all my gear slammed into this yellow messenger bag with a flash stand strap to the back.  I initially tried shooting this shot at f/1.4 for bigger Bokeh balls, but the depth of field was much to shallow.  Even at f/2, the bag is slightly out-of-focus.  I typically avoid out-of-focus elements in front of the subject, it is a photography rule I choose not to break.  As always when doing self portraits and especially at night the greatest challenge is getting the autofocus to work properly.  I tried shooting outside my normal method and triggered the camera with remote, but the camera never could focus in the dark before taking the picture.  What I like to do in this case; is stand in my position with my camera and focus on the tripod, then switch to manual focus and set my shot up.  I had fun setting this shot up and I was pleased to see the results after weeks of waiting to shoot this shot.

until tomorrow,
enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment